If you’ve watched children’s TV for more than five seconds, then you’ve seen an ad for ABC Mouse. The commercials are omnipresent, and it’s for a good reason.
There is a lot of pressure that comes with early childhood education. After all, scientists have proven that early reading and learning can put your kid on the right path.
So parents send their children to schools with high educational standards. Yet some kids still feel like they’re falling behind. Plus more research is coming out about learning styles and how kids get information. Put this all together, and it’s easy for parents to feel lost.
That’s where the constant ABC Mouse advertising comes in. The commercials make this app seem like the solution to all your parental concerns.
But what do the ABC Mouse reviews say? Before you sign up, check out our in-depth guide to the ABC Mouse Early Learning Academy.
ABC Mouse Review: What is ABC Mouse Anyway?
ABC Mouse is a paid digital learning program for pre-school and kindergarten. They’ve also updated their program to include learning activities for older kids.
Parents download the ABC Mouse app onto their smart-device. Then they customize the lessons for their child’s level.
You can adjust the levels at any point from the parent’s portal. But ABC Mouse is a progressive learning app with hundreds of lessons for every learner. Unless your child is flying through the lessons, the app will adjust the level for you.
What Do I Get With an ABC Mouse Subscription?
ABCMouse.com always has some kind of promotion going on, but the standard cost starts at $9.95 a month.
If you’re not 100% sure if your child will love the app, you can buy the month-to-month plan. If you’re confident in the app and want to save some money, buy the 6-month or 12-month plan.
If you have more than one child, ABC Mouse allows you to register up to three kids on one subscription. This way your kids don’t have to wait their turn and can go at their own pace.
$9.95 a month might seem expensive, especially when there are so many great apps out there for free.
But are those apps actually for free? While you might not pay a fee upfront, most apps have hidden in-app purchases. They also make money by selling ad space to companies you might not know or trust. These pop-up ads are easy for kids to click on by accident, and there’s no way for you to check this.
Because you pay for ABC Mouse, there are no advertisements or links that your child can click on. There aren’t any hidden in-app purchases either. Whatever ABC Mouse has (and it has a lot), it’s there for you to use the moment you open the app.
What Lessons Does ABC Mouse Include?
While it’s nice to know you won’t have to worry about pop-up ads with ABC Mouse, that’s not why you’re getting it. You want to know how it’s going to help your child succeed.
ABC Mouse comes with a customized learning path for your child. These lessons cover subjects like:
- Language Development (listening, vocab, and grammar)
- Reading (letters, phonics, reading comprehension, genres, and sight words)
- Mathematics (numbers and basic arithmetic, measurements, patterns, and shapes)
- Science (weather, animals and plants, space, inventions, engineering)
- Social Studies (communities, geography, U.S. history)
- Health Care (the body, health and safety, and normal health care)
Each lesson includes activities for all learning styles. There are books, songs, puzzles, and games. There are even printables for the kids who like putting their work on the refrigerator.
Let’s say you’re looking for a pre-designed early learning curriculum. Then turn on the Step-By-Step Learning Path. The app will take your child through sequential lessons, much like at school. If your child is struggling with school, or you want to prep them for kindergarten, this might be a good idea.
But you might be looking for a fun way to keep your child interested in school over the summer. Then you can use the Independent Learning features. Your children can play through whatever lesson they want (also known as Free Play). There’s also a Zoo, Library, and Classroom they can explore and customize.
With all this, your child will get a customizable avatar and digital pet to take care of. For every game they finish, they’ll get tickets they can use to “buy” things for their classroom.
What Are the Pros and Cons of ABC Mouse?
Now for the real meat of this ABC Mouse review: the pros and cons.
Like any early learning academy program, ABC Mouse isn’t perfect. At $9.95 a month for up to three children, ABC Mouse seems like a steal. But there are some risks that come with the monthly subscription. This question is: are they worth it?
The Pros of ABC Mouse
- Again, your child can navigate the ABC Mouse app without fear of hidden purchases or shady pop-up ads. This peace of mind is worth a LOT to many parents.
- The parents have a special page with settings to track their children’s learning. You can set the learning levels and see how well your children are doing with every subject. You can also set curfews and time limits on the app. There’s even an option for choosing what holidays your family celebrates. That way app can decorate the digital classroom for the season.
- If you or your children have questions, there’s a video library full of helpful how-tos.
- The lessons and activities are attention-grabbing and easy to follow. Most parents felt overwhelmed by the number of options on the home screen. But their kids were able to navigate it with ease.
- ABC Mouse lessons are well structured and need little to no supervision or help from the parents.
- You can access ABC Mouse from the computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Cons of ABC Mouse
- There have been numerous reports of poor customer service from ABC Mouse. These negative reviews span from 2013 all the way up to 2018. Most of the problems have to do with billing. Parents who cancel their subscription still see charges afterward.
- Getting a hold of customer service is no walk in the park either. Some parents who sent messages to customer service never received a reply notification. They had to log back into the customer service portal to see if there were any updates on their issues.
- While there are specific learning activities, there are also tons of extra activities. These games can prove to be a distraction from the real material. Take this into consideration if you have a young pre-schooler.
- On that note, some parents have complained that the games are too easy. Their kids get frustrated with them. If that’s a problem for you, try to adjust the learning level in the parent portal.
- Last, you should keep track of how much time your child is spending in front of the screen. Yes, ABC Mouse is an educational program. But health experts warn that too much screen time can hurt children’s development.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before we wrap up this ABC Mouse review, let’s recap with some common questions.
How Much is ABC Mouse?
At the time we’re writing this article, it starts at $9.95 a month. However, we’ve also seen plenty of specials throughout the year.
Is That Only for One Child?
No, you can register up to three children on ABC Mouse.com.
Will This Program Help My Child Learn?
ABC Mouse designed the app to help children who are 3-8 years old. There are ten levels, with over 850 lessons and activities to help your child learn.
But because ABC Mouse has these resources doesn’t mean your child will get anything from them. While the program caters to young pre-schoolers, every child is different. ABC Mouse might work wonders for your 6-year-old, but your 3-year-old won’t care at all.
Is ABC Mouse Available for My Smart-Device?
ABC Mouse is available on the computer, tablets, or smart-phones.
Can I Cancel My Subscription?
Yes, you can cancel your ABC Mouse subscription at any time. But be aware. Many parents had difficulty canceling their subscription and contacting customer service.
What’s the Final Verdict on ABC Mouse Early Learning Academy?
We recommend this app, but with reservations.
The ABC Mouse learning path program is impressive. For only $9.95 a month, you have access to an award-winning curriculum that you can use for three of your kids. It’s easy for the kids to use, and the games are engaging.
But the negative feedback about billing and customer service is a red flag. If these reviews were just from 2013, we wouldn’t worry about it as much. But some of the reviews we read were as late as 2018. That’s five years for ABC Mouse to get their act together. It’s concerning that we’re still hearing the same complaints.
If you’re looking for something for the summer or your child is struggling in school, ABC Mouse could work. But be cautious about committing a lot of money up front. Try the app month by month before you buy the full year.
Want More Reviews on Educational Apps and Games?
You should also leave a comment! If you’ve used ABC Mouse, let us know how it went. We love to hear from parents and educators.